22 April 2016

A Review of Maja Säfström's Book, The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts



Maja Säfström, The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts, p.31 (image retrieved from mamamuseme.wordpress.com, 22 April 2016)

The above spread is my favorite image (and fact) from Maja Säfström's book, The Illustrated Compendium of Animal Facts.


Now, I wouldn't call this book so much a compendium, although, by strict definition, it is. I see it more as a random trivia book, accompanied by cute black and white illustrations. Other than being slightly grossed out by some of the facts (Mosquitoes pee on you when they bite (p.26), anyone?), I have no objections to this book - and actually I don't have an objection to that even, just a mild aversion. It is well laid out, with an assortment of facts across a variety of species, and great pictures. The facts are indeed interesting, and the animals quirky and fun. It's a quick read, and it inspires interaction, as you begin looking around for someone to share your new knowledge with. One frequently recurring tidbit that I quite enjoyed was what a group of particular animals is called, my favorite being frogs: a group of frogs is called an army. I can see it. Also literally, because Säfström's illustration includes a group of frogs in army helmets. I really don't have any negative criticism about this book, because it is exactly what it advertises itself to be, and it lives up to expectations. This book is meant to be perused, and joins my list of books I think would be a great addition to waiting rooms of physicians and dentists.

Want more info about Maja Säfström?
I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for my review. This is my honest opinion about the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment