06 December 2016

A Review Of Christopher Hart's Book, doodletopia Fairies



Christopher Hart’s book doodletopia Fairies is by far my favorite book in the doodletopia series. This may have much to do with the fact that I have always enjoyed fantasy and magical creatures, fairies in particular, so it already had brownie points just for subject matter. It’s been awhile since my last review, but I don’t think I’m imagining that Fairies is more instructional that its predecessors. While still definitely being a guided activity book, there seems to be more actual art education involved.

Hart promises that his book will teach you to “…draw fairy wings, design magical fashions, make flying poses, create charming fairy villages, produce magical effects in your artwork, and more.” p. 7 and jumps right in with his first tip. “Indicating size and scale is another important technique -” p.7 Like, I assume, many others, I often have the most difficulty - when drawing a character - with the side profile. This time, Hart addresses that: “…known as a side view - and “the angle that drives people crazy.” Let’s break down the steps to make it easy to draw.” p. 12. Which he does. Honestly, I think it will continue to be a problem for me, but I’m half a step closer.
In one regard particularly, Hart has held consistent appeal for me, and that is his wit. He is just a funny guy. He continues to joke about his magical ability to imbue his readers with super drawing powers, “Your pencil is your wand. And your eraser is …still just a rubbery thing. But your pencil is a wand.” P.13, and make funny remarks about his characters, “They’re the ones who steal your sunglasses when you’re not looking.” P.7, but I feel like he waxed even more eloquent on this go round. Again, maybe bias owing to my enjoyment of the genre, but Fairies has been funnier to me. My favorite quips?

“Fairies range in age from very young (about 633 years old) to mature (“It would be rude to tell.”)” p. 10
“I flipped through some popular fairy magazines, like Fairy Fitness & Fun, to find insights into what fairies wear. Man, is it tough to read that teensy print” p. 49
“You can create fairy hats from all sorts of things. One of the most popular materials is a flower. Lots of different flowers work. But not dandelions. One good breeze and the hat is gone.” P. 65
“All I’m saying is that the next time you see a tiara on a little kid’s head, be sure to tell them, “That was stolen from a fairy.”” P. 70
“(What time is “yore” anyway? And how does anyone know when it’s a quarter to yore?)” p.                140

One of Hart’s talents is highlighting how positions and shapes impact your impressions of the attitude of the character. In fact, his section headings for “More Fairy Faces” and point blank on the topic: “Oval-Faced Fairies are Fun” p. 18 “Angular-Faced Fairies Are Confident” p. 19 “Round-Faced Fairies are Perfect at Pouting” p. 20 “Young Faces Look Innocent” p. 21. He also has more subtle suggestions for how to convey the characters’ outlook:

“Draw eyes wide, giving her a bubbly appearance.”  p. 10
 “Draw the antennae leaning forward, for a positive look.” P. 35
“Press his arms and legs together for an insecure pose.” P. 43
“These wings may not seem unique at first, but their position is interesting. Both sets of wings are lifted up, which enhances the effect of her cheerful expression.” P. 87
“Notice how the wings are in the “down” position. This placement can be used to show a negative attitude.” P. 108

This book is not a technical drawing book. While there is some flat-out art speak, most of Hart’s advice comes in a far more conversational tone. Topics of art classes are slipped in as a casual aside. I have twenty specific examples of this, but will omit most of them for brevity’s sake. But I will add just a few as supporting evidence. For instance, Hart does not discuss background/foreground, but he does give advice about it: “First draw the ring of flowers, and then the hat. The flowers are the front layer.” p. 68 or “Overlap the mushrooms below her.” p. 97. He doesn’t talk about light sources, but he alludes to it: “Draw a shadow under the fairy to indicate that she’s hovering above the ground.” p. 98. Nor does he talk about diagonal lines being more visually interesting and stimulating than horizontals, but merely suggests, “The horn is such a linear instrument. You either have to position it horizontally or diagonally. I think you’ll find that diagonally is more engaging.” p. 143

He also gets into the physics that make art more convincing, such as being aware of gravity and other forces acting upon your character, such as momentum creating an updraft on a fairy’s wings.

After the promise of malevolent fairies, I was a little disappointed about their treatment in the book. After a promising start (“You may never have actually seen an evil fairy, but you have seen their effects. Why do you think a slice of bread always falls jelly-side down? Evil fairy. Why can you never find your glasses? Evil fairy.” p. 114), just one page of advice - maybe just hints (“Push those eyebrows down - way down!” p. 114), and one page of go to (“Wicked characters drip with evil. So by all means, overdo it!” p. 115)! Maybe there wasn’t a lot to say about it, but I’d have liked to have seen further exploration of the topic.

The girls and I really enjoyed this book, and I would recommend it to anyone whose interests in art and fairies overlap.










I tried to scan my daughter’s adorable artwork, but it turns out she drew too lightly for my scanner, but here’s a page I did.

I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for my review. This is my honest opinion about the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment